Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2011

September 03: Storm (A 100 Word Challenge)

I find writing super short fiction almost as challenging as writing longer works of fiction. Somewhere in my reading I heard about something called the 100 Word Challenge hosted by Velvet Verbosity. I've submitted only once before to this challenge. Since I'm challenging myself to write a short story a day for the thirty days hath September, I thought I would include a couple of these challenges. I think they take place about once a week, so don't you worry that I'm copping out of my challenge by only writing 100 word stories.

This week's challenge, inspired by Hurricane Irene, is Storm:


Brilliant forks of lightning tear the sky into pieces immediately followed by an earsplitting crack of thunder. One after the other, barely pausing in between, lighting and thunder battle under the dome of night in a contest of light and sound.
The rain pounds a staccato beat upon the rusting tin roof over the porch just outside my bedroom window. Howling winds scream through the branches of the oak, maple and elm trees in our back yard, threatening to topple any one or all of them.
And I lay alone in my bed, covers pulled up to my chin, terrified.

6 comments:

  1. I agree - 100 words is often just as difficult as 1000 or 10000! Love the description in this piece. 'brilliant' :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 100 words is so difficult! I love the challenge of it though and you captured it great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful description of the storm. I could heard the rain on that tin roof and the thunder rattling the windows. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great imagery..

    I think 100 words is much harder than anything else I write. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back - sounds like you have set yourself a good challenge for September. Agreeing with you and others here about the 100 words being tough - it's a great mental workout though. :)

    ReplyDelete